Thursday, January 12, 2012

Food: Spinach & Egg Breakfast

You can't tell me that there's a good blog out there that doesn't talk about food. Let's face it. WE LOVE TO EAT! So this morning for breakfast, I made some kind of creation, of course inspired by my mother. There is no name to it so I'll call it spinach and egg. This can easily be made into a vegetarian dish, just exclude the meat options.

Spinach & Egg
Serves 2



evoo
6-8 whole cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed (with the flat of your chef's knife laid on the garlic, give it a nice whack to flatten the clove)
1/2 small onion, chopped (I used yellow)
Peppered turkey breast, sliced thinly
Fresh spinach, two large handfuls
Red pepper flakes, optional
1-2 eggs over easy, or however you like them prepared, per person

FYI. I don't like using salt in my food so I use it sparingly. In this recipe, I don't use any since the turkey has enough for my taste. Add salt according to your liking or just try it my way if you're trying to cut back.

In a large non-stick pan, heat evoo and garlic. I bought this bag at Costco, it's great for those that love using fresh garlic. Cook garlic on medium to high heat. Once it's softened a little, add the onion.



Cook the garlic and onion until the onion is starting to become translucent. Add your turkey. You can use whatever meat you want. Linguica would be a nice choice! Add more evoo if needed, you want to keep it shiny, and cook until the meat is cooked through.

Next, add your spinach. I used the boxed salad spinach. It's great for cooking breakfast dishes, or using in your sandwiches in lieu of lettuce, and it makes a great spinach, avocado, shaved parmesan cheese salad with a vinaigrette. So. Turn the heat down to a low medium and if you're going to add red pepper flakes, now is the time to do so. Cover the pan and let the spinach steam wilt. Don't worry, it looks like a lot of spinach but it'll shrink down.



Once the spinach had wilted and the smell has intertwined, it's ready! I made some over easy eggs placed right on top of the mixture. I made them right in the same pan so I wouldn't have to wash another pan! I garnished it with fruit because kiwis are in season. Avocado would make a nice garnish and would a nice slice of toast! Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment